Tuesday 2 August 2016

A code of non-voilence...

So if you have been watching shows like Masterchef and the Bachelor by now I'm sure you've heard the word 'journey' bandied about a fair bit.
But here I go using it again - this journey into the Yoga lifestyle is ah-mazing!!
I'm already noticing changes within myself, I've lost a couple of kilos, my strength and balance are improving and I feel that I am getting just that little bit better at meditation each time - better able to switch off all the clutter and chatter and remain focussed on breath. We will be conducting our own Yoga Nidra (psychic sleep) to the class over the next few weeks which is very exciting - so we have  been learning how to talk our class through a beautifully guided meditation. Problem is I have fallen asleep each time so not sure how much of that is sinking in whoops ha ha. I did at least absorb that it is called Yoga Nidra not Yoga Ninja!!
We were asked to go home and practice on our family - I'm sure my teacher didn't have my 8 year old with ADHD and Autism in mind as I copped non-stop critique and giggling instead of the sleepy relaxation I had hoped for!
Also, I'm starting to redefine the goals I have for myself with the course. We were asked by our Being Yoga teachers to consider what our ultimate intent throughout this journey is for ourselves and for me it's really becoming about how I go about working through challenges in my life.
Yeah, I went through a lot in the last year but it might not be the last time in my life things are difficult. I want to approach future disappointments and low points without feeling that I am haphazardly and desperately 'clawing my way back' .
Instead, with what I am learning through Yoga I will start to live every day with a sense of calm, wisdom and self-love.
We talked at length during class about Raja Yoga - the Yoga of The Mind and specifically about Yamas. Yamas refer to the codes of moral conduct including that of Ahimsa - non-voilence. I guess you could see them as similar to the Ten Commandments.
We discussed in groups all different ways violence  (not just physical) occurs on a global scale, in our inter-personal relationships, and especially avoiding the types of violence we inflict against our selves through negative self-talk, envy, judgement and engaging in gossip. Yamas are effectively a discipline whereby we can learn to instead act with love and compassion to ourselves. This flows on to others that would hurt us with their words or behaviour, by being a positive influence for non-violence.
So how does that actually play out in real life? Well my dear reader I'm glad you asked because I got to put that new understanding to the test straight away - I had a particularly nasty conflict arise over the weekend.  Because I was already riding my blissful state of relaxation from a whole weekend of Yoga - instead of rising to the bait as I normally would - I chose to step back, see the situation for what it was, detach, ask myself questions of the situation, acknowledge that the situation upset me then let it all dissolve. I handled the situation calmly and diplomatically despite a little piece of the old me champing at the bit for a good old yelling match studded with f-bombs.
Of course we spent an equal amount of time learning the history and moral codes as we did correcting alignment for downward dog and learning about the muscular skeletal structure of our body, it's a pretty intense amount of information to soak in - I thought it was interesting to be told that the derivative of Yoga is 'to yoke'  ie. the relationship of mind and body yoked together.
It was a full weekend of practicing and learning with my course that had me walking away feeling very calm, grateful and actually a little bit taller - at 5"2 every little bit helps!!
PS Meet the beautiful crew I am training with <3



2 comments:

  1. BE-U-TIFULL

    Thank you for this Anna.

    Flow dear Friend.

    In Lak'ech Ala K'in
    Ad

    ReplyDelete
  2. BE-U-TIFULL

    Thank you for this Anna.

    Flow dear Friend.

    In Lak'ech Ala K'in
    Ad

    ReplyDelete